Contributing to Orthanc
If you find Orthanc useful and wish to contribute to its development,
here are some tasks you can take in charge that would greatly help us:
- Use Orthanc in the real life. ;)
- Report possible problems together with sample DICOM images on the
- Answer questions posted to the mailing list.
- Index external contributions on the “Orthanc Contributed” GitHub
repository, via pull requests.
- Provide documentation and use cases (e.g. on GitHub).
- Share maintenance scripts (e.g. on GitHub).
- Advertise about Orthanc, and answer the survey.
- Package Orthanc and its associated plugins for more UNIX or
GNU/Linux distributions (e.g. RHEL, CentOS, SUSE...).
- Improve and translate the Wikipedia page about Orthanc.
- Interface Orthanc with other software (e.g. 3D Slicer,
Matlab/Octave, Python, Horos, dicompyler...). Check the already
- Develop C/C++ plugins extending the Orthanc core. Here are some ideas
of possible plugins:
- Have a look at the Orthanc Wishlist board,
where users can submit their ideas for the future features of Orthanc.
Always remember that he recommended way of contributing to the source code of Orthanc is
by creating C/C++ plugins. If the current plugin SDK is insufficient
for you to develop some feature as a plugin, do not hesitate to
request an extension to the Orthanc SDK on the mailing list.
The Orthanc project will also happily accept external patches in
the core of Orthanc and in its associated official plugins. Such
patches can either be sent to the mailing list or via a